Great news! Caring adults can actually change the potential of a child’s life by influencing the way their brains are built.
When babies are born their brains are not finished. Early experiences affect the development of brain architecture, which provides the foundation for all future learning, behaviour, and health. A baby’s interactions with their caregivers and the world around them will shape the construction of their brains - all the way into their 20’s - but the first few years include ‘sensitive periods’ with unique opportunities for maximum impact.
It’s up to caregivers and communities to make sure that all of our children get the best possible start with healthy brain development.
The exciting thing is that helping a baby’s brain have the best start possible is natural and fun and there are a lot of resources in our community to provide information, support, programs and services.
Early Literacy Alliance of Waterloo Region Members:
• Baby Connections
• The Blend Media Group Inc.
• Community Advocates for Early Literacy
• Early Childhood Education, Conestoga College (links to organizational website)
• ECE Professional Resource Centre, Conestoga College English at First (LINC)
• Family and Children's Services of Waterloo Region
• Frontier College
• Idea Exchange
• KidsAbility Centre for Child Development
• Kitchener Public Library
• KW Habilitation Early Learning, Child Care and Family Resources
• Let's Read--A Family Literacy Initiative of Waterloo Region
• Our Place Family Resource and Early Years Centre
• Project READ Literacy Network
• Region of Waterloo Home Child Care
• Region of Waterloo Library
• Region of Waterloo Public Health
• Salvation Army Parent and Child Resource Centre
• Strong Start Charitable Organization
• University of Waterloo
• Waterloo Catholic District School Board (Literacy Consultant)
• Waterloo Catholic District School Board (Speech-Language Services)
• Waterloo Public Library
• Waterloo Region District School Board (Learning Services - Early Years)
• Waterloo Region District School Board (Learning Services - Speech Language Pathology)
• Waterloo Region Public Health
• Wilfred Laurier University
• YMCA EarlyON Waterloo Region